Public Works Department
To provide excellent public service with entrusted resources.
We are motivated to be a recognized leader in providing quality water, wastewater, stormwater drainage system, solid waste, street maintenance, traffic control, GIS, and engineering services so that we are a source of distinction within the community. We accept the responsibility to provide quality essential services to our customers and to always protect the safety and welfare of the public.
The following values are the foundation of our mission and vision:
- We value and respect our customers, both internally and externally;
- We acknowledge that our staff is one of our greatest resources. We respect, support, encourage their growth, and ensure their safety.
- We encourage positive communication with all internal and external customers.
- We understand Local, State, and Federal rules and regulations and how they impact public services.
- We continually pursue improved methods of enhancing public services.
- We responsibly use all resources entrusted to us.
- We view interactions with the public as opportunities to manifest positive and courteous behavior.
The Public Works Department is responsible for the management of activities related to:
Find information about current and closed bid opportunities.
Engineering is responsible for designing and constructing capital improvement projects, traffic studies, infrastructure planning, and more.
The purpose of GIS is to provide the community with geographic data and expertise to communicate needs and ideas, assist in key decision making and promote the efficient use of resources.
Peruse master plans for the City of Lewiston.
The City of Lewiston manages an integrated solid waste management system consisting of diverse operations including waste collection, waste reuse, recycling, and waste disposal.
The Street Maintenance Division in the Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining the public street system, alleys, storm water drainage system, to clean paved road surfaces, and all traffic control devices (traffic and pedestrian signals, street signage, pavement markings). Street Maintenance monitors the conditions of streets to prioritize work performed to maximize cost-effectiveness and service to the public.
The Wastewater Services in the Public Works Department provides management control over the Wastewater Treatment Plant, Pretreatment Wastewater maintenance, and collection system.
The Water Services in the Public Works Department provides management control over the Water Treatment Plant, water quality laboratory, and the water maintenance and distribution system.
Capital improvements under construction.
The City of Lewiston partners with Asotin County, the City of Clarkston, and Nez Perce County in cooperation with the American Public Works Association to celebrate Public Works Day every year with an Expo at the Nez Perce County Fairgrounds.