Volunteers are essential to Lewiston City Library’s mission to provide the people of Lewiston with free and open access to knowledge, ideas and information and to support them in their pursuit of learning. By generously donating time, volunteers enhance and extend the library’s services and programs, and help to maintain the library’s extensive collection.
Our volunteers are vital to the services of our library. In the past year we had over 1300 hours contributed by more than eighty community members. Volunteering at the Lewiston City Library is a great way to provide meaningful service to our community, develop skills, and meet new people. Our volunteers help librarians with programs and events, assist patrons with technology, contribute to circulation, and much more.
Who Can Volunteer?
- There are short-term and long-term opportunities available for an assortment of library activities.
- We welcome volunteers with a variety of interests, abilities, and time commitments.
- Corporate and educational group opportunities are available. Recent projects completed by groups include library beautification and maintenance.
- Students grade 6 and up (13 years or older) are encouraged to participate in our VolunTeen program. You will need your parents’ or guardians’ permission.
- High school seniors working on community service or senior projects are welcome!
What is the VolunTeen Program?
It is a program for students 13-18 years old who are interested in regularly volunteering for our children’s services. The tasks involved can range from shelf-reading, cleaning toys, preparing for programs, and helping at events. If you’re a responsible teen looking to give back to your community, apply now!
How Do I Get Involved?
- Download and print the application or obtain a paper copy at the library
- Hand in a completed applications at any circulation desk.
- Take some time to review our Volunteer Handbook. In it you will find essential information about the program.
- For corporate or educational group opportunities, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator for scheduling information.
Our first priority is to provide a safe environment for all members of our community. The Lewiston City Library has a background check policy in place for all long-term adult volunteers. There is no cost involved and results are kept confidential.
Please email the Library or call 208-798-2525 for more information.