Disability Advisory Commission
The Disability Advisory Commission (DAC) provides advice and recommendations to the Lewiston City Council on a wide array of disability matters within the City of Lewiston.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was adopted in 1990 to require equal access to persons of all abilities. A key piece of the Act requires all levels of government to prepare a self-evaluation; an inventory of their level of compliance. In the case of Lewiston, the City operates many facilities and services that are subject to the ADA. The transportation network (right of way), public buildings, parks, recreational programs, public transportation, the City’s website and employment opportunities are all examples of what must comply with the ADA.
Identified needs in the rights-of-way have been prioritized by the City of Lewiston’s Disabilities Advisory Commission and reviewed by the Lewiston City Council in the form of an ADA Transition Plan. This plan was adopted on September 14, 2020.
- Advise and make recommendations to the city council and city staff on matters related to Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Title II of the ADA specifically relates to city of Lewiston programs, activities, and services.
- Become familiar with Title II of the ADA and the status of existing city of Lewiston programs, services, and facilities related to the ADA.
- Consider concerns and/or issues brought before the disability advisory commission by citizens related to accessibility in the city or the ADA, as related to the city of Lewiston.
- Seek opportunities to discuss accessibility issues with citizens and become familiar with citizens’ opinions on accessibility issues.
- Direct ADA complaints to the appropriate city of Lewiston staff.
- Develop relationships with organizations that serve individuals with disabilities, as defined by the ADA.
- Assist and actively engage in educational efforts and outreach activities related to Title II of the ADA that are led by the city of Lewiston or its partners.
- Develop a work plan that consists of goals and objectives for the disability advisory commission on an annual basis. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Eric Peterson (Chair) | Term Expires July 2022
- Christina Stevenson (Vice Chair) | Term Expires July 2022
- Gabriel Iacobani (Member) | Term Expires July 2023
- Ged Randall (Member) | Term Expires July 2023
- Mark Havens (Member) | Term Expires July 2021
- Mike Feeney (Member) | Term Expires July 2021
- Travis Brusseau (Member) | Term Expires July 2021 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
208-746-3671 ext. 6211
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>