Parks and Recreation Commission
The Lewiston Parks and Recreation Commission (LPRC) was created to assist in the efforts to create a sense of community through programs, parks, and facilities. The Commission is a seven-member volunteer group that works on behalf of the Lewiston City Council to implement the Parks and Recreation department’s mission: to provide a comprehensive program of high-quality parks, recreation facilities, and activities for a broad range of ages, interests, and abilities.
For more information on applicable regulations managed by the commission, see Lewiston City Code Chapter 26 Parks and Recreation.
The Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission shall have the following powers and duties:
- Assist the parks and recreation department in its goal of providing recreation services and park facilities for the citizens of the city of Lewiston and surrounding areas.
- Assist the parks and recreation department in its efforts to achieve the stated goals of the Parks and Open Space Master Plan.
- Advise and make recommendations to the parks and recreation department and the city council on issues or projects related to the city of Lewiston’s parks.
- Advise and make recommendations to the parks and recreation department and the city council on what the parks and recreation advisory commission believe to be the best use of parks and recreation department funds that are generated through the exclusive use of shelter rentals throughout the city of Lewiston’s park system.
- Make recommendations to the city council regarding requests to:
- name or rename a city of Lewiston park, amenity, or facility; and
- place memorials on the city of Lewiston park property, all in accordance with the Lewiston Parks and Recreation Facility Naming and Memorial Placement Policy.
- Assist the parks and recreation department and the city council in their efforts to involve and inform the citizens of the city of Lewiston about parks and recreation matters through public education, public meetings, and social media.
- Inform and advise the parks and recreation department and the city council when citizens bring forward areas of concern or ideas that affect the parks and recreation department or the city of Lewiston.
- Third Wednesday of each month at 5:00 p.m., at the Lewiston Community Center, 1424 Main Street, Lewiston, Idaho 83501.
- Agendas are available prior to the meetings, and minutes from each meeting are available following approval by the Lewiston City Council. View most recent agendas and minutes.
|Name||Term Dates & Years of Service|
|Jill Balmer, Chair|
|Larry Kopczynski, Vice Chair|
|Kevin Kelly, City Council Liaison|
|Tim Barker, Parks and Recreation Director, Staff Liaison|
View the most recent Parks and Recreation Commission Bylaws (PDF).
If you need assistance finding the most current agendas/minutes or have questions related to the commission, please contact Parks and Recreation’s Administrative Assistant Linda Rape at email@example.com or (208) 746-2313.