The block was constructed to replace earlier wooden structures in same location. Henry C. Kettenbach, a prominent Lewiston businessman who joined his two brothers here, was a boyhood friend in Indianapolis of another pioneer businessman, John P. Vollmer. Kettenbach built several structures in Lewiston, believing that the city held great promise.
Kettenbach Block circa 1930
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.