John and Ella Davies Building Built between 1908 and 1913
Built by John and Ella Davies. Ella was the daughter of Oregon pioneer Judge David Risdon. Paul invested extensively in property, as he believed Lewiston was to “become a fine little city.” The building housed offices on upper floors and retail on the street level, such as millinery and electrical supply stores and a cobbler’s shop. Weaver’s Music Store, once located at 527 Main, sold record albums along with musical instruments. Prior to purchasing records, customers would test-play them in tiny booths that once lined the wall of the store. Popular Fred Warren’s Sports Shop had a storefront at 521 Main Street.
Davies Building on the left, circa 1916.
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.