611 Main Street
Liberty Theater Built 1902
Constructed in 1902 as the Western Hardware and Implement Company. In 1920-21, Isaac Binnard and Emery transformed this building into a theater with over 800 leather upholstered seats arranged in a curve for unobstructed viewing of the stage. The theater provided air-conditioned comfort for viewing motion pictures. Restrooms were located in the basement under the lobby, alongside dressing rooms built under the front sidewalk and lit by prismatic glass skylights. An extensive remodeling of the Liberty Theater sometime in the late 1940’s saw the addition of the exterior marquee and other interior features that echo a late Art Deco design.
Just to the east of this building was the White Front Livery Stable, where travelers could put up their horses for the night or people could rent rubber-tired buggies.
Liberty Theater circa 1921
Liberty Theater circa 1923
circa late 1920's - early 1930's
Liberty Theater audience circa 1950's
Staff and/or volunteers, premier of Breakheart Pass 1976.
Audience at showing of Breakheart Pass 1976
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.